Fast and fresh, this simple Pan Seared Fish On Lemony Mushrooms & Fennel, dish is perfect for a light meal for two during those warm summer days. This dish also makes an impressive addition to your holiday table—and it is as delicious as it is beautiful. If you’re hosting this Festive Season and want to try something new, then this recipe is for you.
2 x 200g sustainable fish fillets, skin on
2 large fennel bulbs, thinly sliced and reserve a handful of fennel fronds
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 mild green chilli, finely diced
250g mixed cultivated mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp butter
¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 lemon, zest and juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large cast iron pan heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium – high heat.
2. Add the sliced fennel and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1 minute.
3. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Add a fresh drizzle of olive oil to the pan and cook the mushrooms until golden brown and tender. Season lightly and set aside with the fennel.
5. Sprinkle some salt over each fillet of fish and rub with olive oil.
6. Place the fillets into the pan skin side down.
7. Cook the fillets most of the way through on the skin and flip for a final minute to cook the other side.
8. Plate the fish and allow to rest for a minute while you reheat all the vegetables together in the pan with the tablespoon of butter. Add the parsley, lemon zest and a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
9. Plate the mushroom and fennel medley alongside the fish and serve.