“Who says you need to leave home to #LiveLarge? Add a bold touch to your next big night in with this scrumptious hearty winter dish – baked chorizo gnocchi – that we’ve created to pair perfectly with our luscious SPICY FAT bastard SHIRAZ – YUM! International #ShirazWineDay on 22 July will be a perfect day for this delicious indulgence. Or wait a few days until the lockdown is hopefully lifted.
Always remember life should be filled to the brim and enjoyed in large, delicious gulps. with a bellyful of laughs! Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 150g spicy chorizo, skin removed & diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small fresh chilli, finely diced
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 x 400g tin diced tomatoes
- ½ cup 125ml fresh cream
- 500g potato gnocchi
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly torn
- 300g Fior di Latte mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- (You can cook this dish in an ovenproof pan from the beginning or else transfer everything to an ovenproof dish at the end to bake.)
- Using a drizzle of olive oil, fry sliced onions and chorizo over a medium heat until soft and golden brown. Add the minced garlic, chilli and dried herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for a few minutes until it turns a warm brick red colour and smells fragrant. Add the tinned tomatoes and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add the cream and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to package instructions. Gnocchi will be cooked once it starts floating on the surface. Do not overcook.
- Drain gnocchi and add it to the tomato sauce along with the fresh basil. Mix.
- Scatter over roughly torn pieces of the fresh mozzarella.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh basil and a sprinkle of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with crusty bread and a fresh green salad.
ENJOY WITH A GLASS OF THE LUSCIOUS FAT bastard SHIRAZ: Sumptuous, smooth, spicy and complex with an abundance of brambly red fruit intertwined with notes of vanilla and freshly crushed black pepper aromas with touches of cloves and cinnamon, and a lingering silky finish. A perfect accompaniment to Baked Chorizo Gnocchi.
The FAT bastard SHIRAZ can be purchased online at https://shop.fatbastardwine.