Hartbeesport is a beautiful, little town in the North West, famous for the Hartbeesport Dam and the whitewater rapids of the Crocodile River. It is the perfect destination for exploring animal sanctuaries, going on cruises, glamping, and extreme water sports. The best part is it is a mere 45 minutes away from Johannesburg. These past 3 days I have been exploring all that Hartebeesport has to offer with the Nubian Music Festival team and I must say Hartbeespoort is definitely a top must visit destination. Seeing as December holidays are just around the corner I thought I would encourage you to include Hartebeesport in your holiday planning with these 5 amazing things to get up to in Harties this December.
1. First things first is accommodation – finding a perfect and relaxing place to stay at in December is always quite tricky but don’t worry we’ve got you covered. If you would like to try camping without sacrificing on luxury then try Glamping at Eagle Waters Wildlife Resort. The luxury tents are fitted with queen sized beds, en-suite bathrooms, private decks with braai areas and all your basic hotel facilities. Wake up to magnificent views of the dam and the soothing sounds of birds chirping. Wildlife such as blesbuck and zebras are free roaming in and around the resort and keen birdwatchers will also be able to spot over 340 identified bird species. If camping is not your style then book a weekend away at the new Graceland Conference & Lifestyle Centre where you can spoil yourself with spa treatments, picnics and for the kids they can enjoy the fun and colourful children’s play area or a dip in the kiddies pool.
2. If you have never been to Hartbeesport before
(even if you have been) then I would suggest you start your trip by visiting the Aerial Cableway which ascends to the top of the Magaliesberg Mountains to get in the most breathtaking scenic views. If you truly want to experience the best of Harties then try some of the fun activities the Cableway has to offer like hiking, where u can spot many of natures wonderful creatures or go zip-lining through the trees, then tantalise your tastebuds with a delicious burger and cold beer at the cableway restaurant and bar. The views from the top are really something special, I am pretty sure I could spot The Dome in Johannesburg from up there lol.
3. Visit the Ann Van Dyk Cheetah Centre where you will get to see the majestic and gracious Cheetahs in all their glory. Enjoy an informative drive around the farm where you will get to see Wild Dogs, a Caracal, African Wild Cats, Spotted Hyena’s and various Vulture species. The best part of the experience is having the Cheetahs and Wild Dogs up close to the game vehicle while they get fed.
4. Book yourself tickets for the the second annual Nubian Music Festival taking place from 14-17 December at Eagle Waters Wildlife Resort. A family friendly festival that promises to bring you some of the best local and international music stars all on one stage. Enjoy movie nights under the stars, water activities, picnics and loads more epic activities during the 4 day festival. . Festival goers can also enjoy special accommodation deals from Eagle Waters & Graceland.
5. Spend your afternoon gently cruising the waters of Harties while taking in the beautiful views of the Magalies Mountains by booking a lunch and Sunset Cruise. The sunset cruises include a champagne welcome cocktails on arrival, a beautiful 2 hour scenic cruise with gourmet food and a bar service.
There are lots of other amazing things to do in Hartbeesport which are also well worth a visit like:
Bush Babies Monkey
Hartbeespoort Dam Snake and Animal Park
River rafting with Mobile Adventures
Hartbeespoort is going to be the life of the holiday party this December thanks to the second annual Nubian Music Festival so it would be smart to book a short break then so you can enjoy all of the awesomeness that will be on display from 14-17 December. FUN & RELAXATION ON OVERLOAD!!